Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Daily Zoot - 4/22/09 - National Hockey Zoot

The Daily Zoot is all the news you needed to know yesterday, soon
-Some of my friends are upset that I don't talk about hockey enough in the Zoot. While I'm in the process of evaluating wether or not I want to remain friendly with hockey advocates, I figured I would appease them for just this day (Don't say I didn't get you a birthday present)...it is the playoffs after all so lets get down to it. Last night's game between the New Jersey Devils and the Hartford Whalers was decided by a goal scored with 0.2 seconds left in the game. It was the closest to the final whistle a deciding goal has been scored in NHL Playoff history. I always say Hockey doesn't get good until the last half-second of the game, this just confirms it. Devils goalie Marty Brodeur thought he got bumped before the shot, and threw a pretty impressive temper-tantrum after the game. He ended his tirade when it was calmly explained to him that he plays a contact sport, and that he should probably expect that kind of thing. The Caps trail the Rangers 2-1 heading into tonight's game at Madison Square Garden. Everyone in the D.C. Metro Area has turned red with support for the Caps (or embarrassment for being outed as a hockey fan) so I'm gonna go with them. Is everyone happy now? Good.
-The NFL released the results of the drug test taken by players at the Scouting Combine, and two high profile players have tested positive (and that means bad oddly enough) for marijuana; North Carolina's Brandon Tate, and Florida's Percy Harvin. Nobody really cares about Tate (sorry, but thats the truth) but Harvin is a first round prospect and could go in the top-20. Let me start by saying that Harvin smoking Weed is not going to stop a team from taking him, but testing positive might. What I mean by that is if the results of these tests were classified, the teams wouldn't care less; but now they are afraid that their season ticket holders don't want to watch Sanka line up in the slot. I'm going to go securely out on a limb when I assure you that many, if not much, if not most of the NFL smokes Pot. I mean for god's sake look at Marshawn Lynch. But teams look the other way; that is until it becomes public. I direct your attention to Miami Dolphins v. Williams. It took a fake retirement and a real anxiety disorder to make it OK for Williams to return to the team after he admitted marijuana use. You think they didn't know he smoked weed before they traded for him in 2002? If so, I direct your attention to exhibit a.  (I'm criticizing the dress, not marrying hurricane Ditka. I would marry Mike Ditka in a the time it takes to score a game winning NHL playoff goal (remember?), and you can hold me to that if the situation ever arises.) This positive test is not going to hurt Harvin as a player, it can only hurt his first paycheck, and eventually the teams that chose to pass on him because of it.

2 comments: