Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daily Zoot - 4/7/09 - Opening Day Recap

The Daily Zoot is all the news you needed to know yesterday, soon


This edition of the Zoot is meant to catch all the stories from Yesterday's Opening Day that you might have missed. But first, a requisite mention of the National Championship:

-I don't like to say I told you so...I love it. And if you remember correctly *ahem* I called UNC to win the National Championship last night. Sure they were the third team I picked to win it all; but a pick's a pick and that has to mean something (it doesn't). And I can't complain with North Carolina winning it, even if I think Tyler Hansbrough looks like David after Dentist

Now on to the Diamond:

-The biggest story from Yesterday, for me at least, was that Ken Griffey jr. Homered in his first game back with the Seattle Mariners. The kid came up with the Mariners in 1989 and played 11 of history's best seasons in the Emerald City. When he left Seattle for Cincy in 1999 Baseball fans died a little bit. Here's a comparison for non-Baseball fans. When The Beatles no longer were together, Paul McCartney joined Wings. Sure Wings is decent (I could live and let die all day), and Paul was pretty good in it, but you just want to see him with that mop top. Griffey's Home Run yesterday was as close to a Beatles reunion as I think we'll ever get. 

-C.C. Sabathia gave up 6 runs, and Mark Texiera went hitless in their Yankee debut. The team spent 340 million dollars on these guys alone, and I'm ready to write them off. Sample size Shmample Size, I've seen enough. Texeiera's performance is somewhat understandable. He's from MD, and was being booed by his own hometown fans, I get it. But I expected CC to show up at least. He's a monster. He's 6'7", and is listed at 290 lbs. He usually looks like Paul Bunyan on the mound. Yesterday he looked like Grimace in pinstripes. If I'm a Yankee's fan, how badly do I feel that I actually miss Alex Rodriguez?

-The Mets surgically reconstructed bullpen held up in their first test. Newly acquired releivers JJ Putz and K-Rod were able to shut the door on a 2-1 Mets Victory. I'm not going to make a joke now. This is the part of the season, where the Mets look good and build a healthy lead in the NL East, that we in the biz call the set up. When the Mets end the season crumbling faster than feta ... again ... that'll be the punch line.

If you missed Opening Day, don't worry about. You could miss the next two months and still have a hundred games left. Because in Baseball, you can never spread yourself too thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment