Monday, February 16, 2009

Shawn Marion's Jumpshot is a Hate Crime against Basketball


Legitimately, his shot is so terribly ugly that somehow God felt bad and gave him the common courtesy to allow him to shoot 48.1% in his career from the floor. I expected what I thought was a very generous 4.8%.

Now, on my quest to find us a lovely picture of Marion's jumpshot, nothing came up on NBA.com. I was baffled, but not discouraged. Immediately I went to my saving grace - google.com and their photos. Jackpot. In fact, I typed in "shawn Marion Jump Shot" and the most popular site on google was the Youtube.com video "Shawn Marion's Ugly Jumpshot." But never fail, if you don't have the internet you can see him launch chest passes on TBS over and over again at the rim all while in amazement that he could even make his way into collegiate basketball after scouts saw him shoot.

And somehow, someway - he knows how to play basketball. He can dribble, see the court, make the pass, jump, dunk, pass to the rim - everything, but shoot. I repeat, he cannot shoot. Technically. He makes baskets - but what he does is not shooting. I would say it's an involuntary elbow regurgitation.

It became clear to me that many of my problems when I played basketball sprouted from my height and reach growing drastically through my youth, and I adjusted my jumper constantly. Maybe if I had used my original jumpshot from age 3 throughout my entire life (See here) like Mr. Marion I would've grown up to be a millionaire too.

1 comment: