Monday, March 30, 2009

Daily Zoot - 3/30/09 - Final Four Shot in the Dark

The Daily Zoot is all the news you needed to know yesterday, soon
A week ago today I promised that I was done with College Basketball. I thought I wasn't qualified to pick games because I had a history of getting it wrong. Then I saw Seth Davisbracket , and I realized picking winners doesn't really matter. Seth is a college basketball writer for Sports Illustrated, and a studio analyst for CBS' coverage of the big dance. Seth got one final four team in. ONE! If he can bat .250 and still be on television, than my .250 should at least lift the college basketball ban from the Zoot. So I'm gonna break that promise, and I don't really feel that bad about it either:

UConn v. Michigan St.
Why Uconn will win: 
Living near, and having been to Storrs, Connecticut I can assure you that the Huskies will be trying as hard as they can to extend their vacation, even if it is in Detroit. 8 Mile is a waaaaaaay better movie than Grizzly Adams. Don't get me wrong, the UConn Campus is beautiful. I'm just saying that a diamond in the rough is still in the rough; and if we're talking about rough, Storrs is the US Open. Also, they have a pretty good basketball team. You already know what to expect from Them Player of the Year Hasheem Thabeet. AJ Price has been so good this tournament its criminal, that's not a laptop joke; I'm just saying he could be a steal for someone in the upcoming draft (Wordplay!). And as weird looking as Stanley Robinson is (he's got two foreheads and he keeps one on top of the other), he is an explosive leaper and matchup night mare. And don't you just feel safer rooting for Jeff Adrien than against him? He's a big scary man, and I'm not trying to get on his bad side. 

Why Michigan St. Will Win:
The final four is being played in Detroit, so Michigan St. should have the decided home court advantage. The game is being played at Ford Field. Because of the way the stadium is set up, even if it is sold out there will be tens of thousands of empty seats. But the Lions play there so no one really knows what it looks like full anyway. By the way, I can't help but appreciate the cruel irony that a championship anything is being awarded where the Detroit Lions play. Michigan St. is a tough defensive minded team led by PG Kalin Lucas, big guy Goran Suton, and swingman Raymar Morgan. Suton had 19 points and 10 rebounds in the elite 8. If he comes up at your tournament watching party, may I recommend making the "Hey You Guuuuyyss" joke? Or maybe just the frankenstein walk; its all gold. 


Who Will Win:
UConn. They have superior talent, and the biggest person in the room. You never mess with the biggest person in the room. If they play like they're supposed to, they should make it to the final game.


I'm milking the final four for all its worth, so read tomorrow's Zoot for my take on UNC/NOVA.

1 comment:

  1. diamond in the rough
    http://asg.homelinux.org/albums/aladdin/Aladdin_nice.jpg

    ReplyDelete