Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Daily Zoot - 3/31/09 - Grasping at Straws

The Daily Zoot is all the news you needed to know yesterday, soon

I'll admit it, I felt a little bit dirty after I broke my promise promise to stop talking college hoops, and did the complete opposite in yesterday's Zoot. Luckily, Axe makes a body wash that removes guilt, It's called Axe:Complacency. A quick rub-a-dub-dub and I'm ready to compromise my journalistic integrity all over again. Because at this point in March Madness, I'll take any correct pick I can muster, even if I have to pick my nose (Gross!). If you weren't with us yesterday (no biggie just scroll down a scosh), we picked UConn to advance past Michigan St. in the first final four game, mostly because of my ignorance/fear of the midwest. So lets turn our attention to the other game, and see if we can't wrangle up a winner.

North Carolina v. Villanova
Why North Carolina Will Win:
UNC is going to win because they have Tyler Hansbrough. He is the face of the sport; and as we've learned with Tim Tebow, guys like that don't tend to lose. I like to imagine that Hansbrough and Tebow were raised together by wolves in a very Romulus and Remus type scenario. Would it surprise anyone if that turned out to be the case?  North Carolina also has Ty Lawson, and it appears that he is finally healthy. His lingering injury was the biggest news-story about feet since this little piggy wanted roast beef. Behind their two stars UNC is a deep and talented team. Wayne Ellington provides outside shooting and musical accompaniment. Danny Green does a little bit of everything on the court, which is miraculous considering his ongoing battle with epilepsy (that's the same thing Elaine had right?) and Deon Thompson leads a strong rotation of Big guys not named Hansbrough. On paper, UNC is as good as any team in the country. 

Why Villanova Will Win:
I'm going to be honest, I had Villanova losing in the second round to UCLA, so I'm not really sure what chance they have against UNC. I know I wouldn't pick them, and maybe that's not such a bad thing. Villanova seems like the classic, "because no one said we could" team. The requirements are simple; you have to be a little undersized, and at least 65% of your players have to be "scrappy", whatever that means. While I don't think they can win, Nova already took down heavily favored Pitt; so its clear that they have no regard for the success of my picks (jerks). If Nova is going to beat UNC they have to get under Hansbrough's skin and exploit the Tar Heels' defensive inadequacies. Scottie reynolds is a multi-talented lead guard, and Dante Cunningham has good size and athleticism to match up with Tyler. If Nova's big guns can out duel UNC's, than the Cats have a chance.

Who Will Win:
UNC: While I love the Big East Pedigree Nova touts, I also feel that the Heels are too deep. Both teams are trying to play a running game, and UNC simply has more horses.

That hypothetically sets up UConn v. UNC in the National Championship game. I bet you want me to pick it? Well I'm not going to. I have enough trouble picking games between two teams I know are playing each other, let alone two that might or might not. I've embarrassed myself enough. I'll pick the national championship game on Monday, and I have a feeling it'll be between Nova and Sparty.

No comments:

Post a Comment